When Top Draw takes on a new client, one of the first things we typically do is ask for access to the following accounts:
- Google Analytics
- Google Adwords
- Google Search Console (formerly called Webmaster Tools)
- Web host
- Facebook Account
These are just a few of the tools we need to set your project up for success.
Granting Top Draw Access To Your Existing Google Analytics Account
All companies should own their own Google Analytics account. It’s best practice to set this up through a general company Google account. This doesn’t necessarily have to be a Gmail account, but some companies do this to gain independence from their own internal email structure. If you don’t own your own account, it may be difficult to gain access.
Top Draw requires administrator level access to Google Analytics because we usually need to configure customized goals. We also like to filter out our own visits so that they’re not counted in the reports. To grant Top Draw access to your Google Analytics Account:
- Sign into your Google Analytics account at http://www.google.com/analytics/
- Select the website profile you’d like to grant us access to.
- Select Admin from the top menu.
- Select User Management from the Account column.
- In the Add permissions for: field, enter our Google Account email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to check all permissions (Manage users, Edit, Collaborate, and Read & Analyze)
- Click Add.
That’s all that’s required. You’re now sharing your analytics with us. Thanks!
Granting Top Draw Access To Your Google Adwords Account
Just like Google Analytics, your company should have its own Adwords account, separate from any previous marketing company or personal account. When it comes to Adwords, it’s a bit easier to grant us access because Google has a really user-friendly “My Client Center” account that makes it easy to manage client accounts.
- Login to your Google Adwords Account.
- Copy your “Customer ID” from the top right of the screen. Email or tell us this number over the phone.
- From our account, we’ll request access, then notify you to login to your account once again
- Click the gear in the top right and select Account Settings.
- Select Account Access from left hand menu.
- Under the Client managers section, you should see email@example.com listed. Under Actions, choose accept.
Granting Top Draw Access To Your Google Search Console Account
- Login to your Google Search Console account.
- Click the gear icon in the top-right corner of the page and select User and Property Owners.
- Select Users & Property Owners.
- In the Verified owners section, click Add an owner.
- Enter our email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) then click Continue.
- Your property will be added to our Search Console account automatically.
Granting Top Draw access to your Domain Account
Giving Top Draw access to your domain accounts allows us to straighten out what is often a confusing area for our clients. In many cases, domain registrations are done once and then forgotten. In fact, it’s not uncommon for staff to have moved on so that no one in an organization is even aware of them, or who is listed as the contact for the domain. We always want to make sure this information is up-to-date, and that domains aren’t spread across multiple registrars, since this makes them harder to manage. We even offer domain transfer and management services to ensure your domains are tracked and renewed.
Gaining access to a domain account varies depending on the registrar, but typically what we need is a username and password.
Another technical area we need access to is your DNS, the service which controls where requests to your domain go. Sometimes DNS and domains are in the same place, not always. Granting us access to both your domain and DNS helps to ensure that changes can be made quickly when your site is ready to launch. It will also save us a lot of time in the event that you want to transfer your domain/DNS/hosting to a different provider.
Granting Top Draw access to your Web Host Account
When it comes to web host accounts, we’re generally referring to a couple of different elements—your FTP information and access to your web control panel. Many hosting companies provide you with a control panel which allows you to modify many elements of your hosting, while the FTP information gives us access to your site’s files. This is necessary to make changes to your existing site or to upload your new site. The control panel is used for many different purposes, including setting up and managing databases, backups and emails.
We recommend Dreamhost as our host of choice. One of the advantages of going with Dreamhost is that it allows you to share out access to your account with others. The instructions below demonstrate how we recommend our clients setup and share Dreamhost accounts with our technical team.
- Go to http://www.dreamhost.com, then go to Servers > Virtual Private Server
- Select the 600MB for $30/month option and click Sign Up
- Follow the instructions to create the account and set up payment
- Once the server is set up and you have access to the Dreamhost Panel, login to the panel and go to Users > Account Privileges
- Click on Grant Privileges to a New Person
- For the email address, enter email@example.com. For the name, enter Top Draw, then check all of the checkboxes and submit. This will give us permission to access your account and get everything setup, including backups.
We hope you find this information helpful when we make technical requests. Remember, if you have any questions or run into any problems, don’t hesitate to contact us and we’ll walk you through the process.
Granting Top Draw access to your Existing Facebook Page and Ad Account
Facebook is a great asset to your digital marketing strategy, with its unique targeting capabilities you are able to target your exact persona at a low cost per click. Making Facebook a great platform to add to your portfolio of digital tools.
Top Draw requires administrator level access to your Facebook page and ad account in order to fully manage your campaigns. To grant Top Draw access to your Facebook page and ad account:
- Top Draw will request access to your Facebook Page. Your team should have a notification in your inbox to approve access for Top Draw. Please approve.
- Go to your Ad Account tab in your Business Manager and click Assign Partner. Grant Top Draw Ad account admin access.
- Enter Top Draw’s Partner ID provided to you by your Account Manager.
- Click Connect.
Top Draw should now be connected to both your Facebook Page and Ad account.